[geeks] grudging praise for a Micosoft product

mp mparson at bl.org
Thu May 29 22:26:04 CDT 2008

On Thu, 29 May 2008, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> On May 29, 2008, at 16:26 , mp wrote:
>
>> Being a touch-typist, I don't care what the labels on they keys actually
>> say, the Mac System Preferences lets you remap caps to control rather
>> easily.  If I remap the existing control to caps, it even lights up the
>> key.
>
> I rather not remap, but that's not the issue.  For one thing, I can never get
> the keymapping to work quite right in Windows.  Remapping in Windows is a
> fairly high level function, so you end up with some software honoring it, and
> some not.

Hrm.  I found some key remapping software a few years ago that I used
in Windows and it never failed me.  I might still have it in an archive
somewhere.  I used it on my Thinkpads to make Caps be Control and
Control be the Windows key (Lenovo only recently started putting Windows
keys on keyboards).

> It's really the shape of the capslock key that bothers me.  It's not shaped
> like a normal key on the Model M, and it really bothers me.
>
> It's a deformed key, with a small block set on a larger one, with a large gap
> between the Capslock and the A key, and I hate it.

Ah, yeah, I'd forgotten about that part.  I spend most of my time typing
on either my Macbook or a Happy Hacking keyboard, neither have an oddly
shaped key there.

The one thing I don't like on keyboards is the big backwards-L return
keys. (hey, another holy war?) :)

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org