[geeks] The Andromeda Strain

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu May 29 14:12:46 CDT 2008

hike wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 7:16 AM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> wa2egp at att.net wrote:
>>
>>> I can't watch it (no cable) but it sounds like they messed with it.  I
>>> have the original movie and I've used it to teach scientific method in bio
>>> class in spite of being dated.  Figured they'd screw with it.  HBO messed up
>>> Dune the same way.   Another reason not to get cable. :)
>>>
>> We have no cable, but people I know who do said it stunk to high heaven.
>>

> Michael Crieghton (sp?) wrote the book, right.  He is a M.D.  (He practiced
> during his early writing days.)  He has too much knowledge and experience
> NOT to get it right.  (Professional integrity and all that stuff.)

Michael Creighton also wrote _Jurassic Park_ as well as other schlock,
so that's not really a measure of the scientific credibility of the work.

I watched this version of Andromeda Strain.  I'll state up front that I
give every movie the benefit of the doubt, taking it's intended audience
into account, etc.  And I'm no "movie must follow book" zealot, either.
  The thing that bothered me most about this movie was the political bat
walloping me over the head at every turn.  It's fscking entertainment,
not *bad* allegory (I'll watch Narnia if I want my entertainment loaded
up with bad allegory).

Benjamin Bratt and Ricky Shroeder have enough clout these days, I'm
surprised they signed on to this.  The others, I can see taking whatever
they can get (Christa Miller from early episodes of the Drew Carey Show
was one of the scientists, as was Daniel Dae Kim from Lost, etc).

It's not the worst movie I've ever seen, though.  _Surf Nazis Must Die_
has held that title since 80-something. :-D

=Nadine=