[geeks] What is a Fundamentalist (was Re: Socialized medicine [was Re: nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro] )

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Thu May 29 08:27:21 CDT 2008

Mike Meredith wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2008 23:11:22 -0500, Brian Dunbar wrote:
>> Same argument: fundies are a small minority
>
> I've seen estimates that vary between 25% and 33% of the US population
> are fundamentalist christian. Whilst I can believe they are inflated,

I think that figure is too high as well.

> it does seem that they're a significant force in US society and have
> some impact on Bush's policies (he seems willing to go to some lengths
> to placate the Christian right).

Ah - perhaps we have a definitions problem: what is a fundie?

Say 'fundie' and I think you're talking about snake handlers, itty-bitty
Baptist churches along the back roads in Texas (First Baptist Church of
the Holy Fire Water and Salvation, Reformed) and so on.

Say 'Christian Right' and I get the image of my neighbor - a pretty nice
Lutheran who votes Republican and believes that abortion is a sin.

--
Brian Dunbar

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

GMT -6
this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Meaningful Work or Death.
Any other form of existence doesn't interest me.

Hugh Macleod