[geeks] The Andromeda Strain

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Wed May 28 23:21:36 CDT 2008

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 10:19:17PM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> BTW - my local bookstores (borders & barnes and noble) file state of
>> fear under fiction. I assume we both agree it belongs there. That some
>> people pay him to expand on his fiction reflects poorly on the
>> audience...
>
> It's like Tom Clancy. Most of the "high tech" stuff in his novels
> is fiction. He used a lot of real stuff but "expands upon it".

As well, I was stationed for a few years at a base where he set some
action in 'Sum of All Fears'.  He got the terrain wrong, the
infrastructure was wonky and other details were off.

So?  I didn't read that book because it was super accurate in the
details - it was entertainment.

--
Brian Dunbar

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

GMT -6
this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Meaningful Work or Death.
Any other form of existence doesn't interest me.

Hugh Macleod