[geeks] The Andromeda Strain

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed May 28 21:19:17 CDT 2008

On May 28, 2008, at 10:01 PM, Dr Robert Pasken <rpasken at eas.slu.edu>
wrote:

> I responded to the phrase "professional integrity". If "State of
> Fear" was pushed as a science fiction book there wouldn't be a
> problem. It would be in the same category as "The Day After
> Tommorrow" another science fiction story. The problem is that
> Crichton, Infoe, Spencer, Christy, Douglas, The Heartland Institute,
> The George Marshall Institue and a host of others refer to "State of
> Fear" as SCIENCE FACT
>
> What if I were to publish a fictional account of how I wrote Unix V7
> while I was a child prodigy and then went around the country calling
> Thompson, Ritchie and McIlroy liars. Further what if I was paid by
> SCO to write the book in an attempt to change the outcome of SCO
> litigation, HOW YOU WOULD YOU REACT? Chriton has done much worse.

Understood.

I apologize, but I have to ask - got any thoughts on Michael Moore?
(of Farenhight 9/11, Bowling for Columbine, Sicko, and Canadian
Bacon ;^)

BTW - my local bookstores (borders & barnes and noble) file state of
fear under fiction. I assume we both agree it belongs there. That some
people pay him to expand on his fiction reflects poorly on the
audience...

Lionel