[geeks] Barbeque Geekery

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Wed May 28 14:29:11 CDT 2008

Saith Dan Sikorski ...

> Are the french more of tea drinkers?
>
> Or do they just start the morning with wine? ;)

While there are a few barflies sitting behind a glass of wine or beer down
at the cafe at 09:00, I think most folks over here actually drink coffee in
the morning.  That's usually "cafe au lait," or a shot of alleged espresso
in a small bowl of hot milk.  Later in the day, coffee for most folks is a
"petit cafe," or a demitasse of "espresso."  "Espresso" here, though, while
made in an espresso machine, isn't the same as it is in Italy.  Or in
Seattle, for that matter.  French espresso is just very strong coffee; it's
not thick, like the Italian stuff, nor does it have the underlying
sweetness.  Back in Seattle, I put only a tiny bit of sugar in a straight
espresso; here, I have to put a couple of lumps in the stuff at most of the
cafes.

-Shel