[geeks] Barbeque Geekery

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Wed May 28 10:37:20 CDT 2008

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

<much snipping applied>
> It can be done. I'm not sure that I could find the coffee to do it here.
> I certainly don't have the need for a burr grinder, I would spend more time
> and effort cleaning it after grinding my few teaspoons of coffee each day.

Well, I'm not sure about where you are, but there are some pretty
inexpensive burr grinders available here now.  I know a couple of people
who have them, and while they are not the same as the big ones, they are
certainly an improvement over the spinning blade grinders.

> I've seem some good home roasters, but they cost a lot of money ($500+).
> You probably could roast them in a pan in your oven if you were carefull
> or one of those stove top popcorn poppers. Hot air poprcorn poppers will
> roast coffee, but I was never able to get what I wanted out of it. The chaffe
> goes all over the room (and it's HOT!!) and getting the exact roast I
> wanted was difficult.

I'm sure that i would not be willing to roast in a pan or popcorn popper
more than a couple of times, so for me, the cost of a roaster has been
too great for me to be willing to try it at home.  Besides, at the rate
that i go through coffee (less than two pounds per month) it would be a
lot of hassle for a little coffee.
> I was watching a TV series from Oz called "Living Coffee" and they visited
> one of the oldest commerical coffee roasting companies there. The roaster
> (person) said that in his experience coffee needed to age for a week after
> roasting to get the best flavor. He's probably right, but to be honest,
> I'd take a fresh roast cup of coffee anyday over one that was a week old.

That goes along with what I understand, that the peak of flavor is a few
days after it has been roasted.  I've never had coffee brewed with beans
hot from the roaster, so i can't comment on that. However, I just found
out last night about a coffee roaster in town that i was previously
unaware of.  I think it will be worth a stop by.

    -Dan Sikorski