[geeks] healthcare was: nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue May 27 20:38:36 CDT 2008

" From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
"
" On May 23, 2008, at 17:27 , Sandwich Maker wrote:
"
" > " From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
" > "
" > "
" > " You just don't realize how much more money we are burning right now.
" >
" > we're spending enough on the war to launch shuttles m/w/f -every-
" > week-.
" > 150 launches a year.
" >
" > and folks complain nasa's expensive...
"
" Yep.
"
" It really ticks me off too.
"
" []
"
" Why do people always go after NASA when noise starts about the
" government budget?

they're an easy target; few people have any idea how much nasa has
contributed to daily life.

" NASA's budget is so tiny it isn't even noise in the signal.
"
" It's also one reason why it has such a hard time: NASA is given a huge
" and difficult mission list, with severe penalties if it doesn't do all
" of them correctly, and a budget only good enough to do about a quarter
" of it properly.

and worse: the fed is stonewalling on paying back $1b nasa spent on
its orders, analyzing the last shuttle disaster and reengineering to
ensure no recurrence.  this was outside of nasa's normal budget and
obligations.

" In the 1960s, NASA's budget was 10% of GNP or something huge like that.

i read somewhere recently that their budget currently is 0.6% of the
federal budget.  it could grow by half and still not be a penny on our
tax dollar.  it would have to be some seven times larger to match the
4+% peak it reached in the '60s.  but then we were fighting the cold
war and their real objective was flexing our missiles at the soviets.