[geeks] grudging praise for a Micosoft product

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Tue May 27 20:06:38 CDT 2008

Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> I decided to get a Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 6000 that was on
> sale at the local Staples, figuring it would reduce wear on the keyboard.
>
> Well, not only is it doing that purpose, but I am finding that my wrists
> and back are not sore at the end of the day.

<snip>

> While I was sure I would hate the differently shaped keys (G and H are
> wider than Q and P for instance) I seem to have adjusted easily to it.
> The padding on the palm rest is exactly the right firmness.  The mouse
> is large and easy to control.
>
> I bought it for about $30 from Staples on sale.  Even came with the
> batteries.
>
> Recommended.

That keyboard looks very similar to the Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000 I've
got.  The Comfort Curve doesn't have the group of hotkeys on the left
side, but the main layout of the keyboard is the same.  Like you, I
wasn't sure what to think of the center keys being wider than the rest,
but it turned out not to bother me.  More importantly, it has a
proper[0] (IMHO, of course) key layout, which is hard to find with PC
keyboards these days.

For mice, on the other hand, I prefer Logitech.  Part of it is they feel
better in my hand since they tend to have more weight to them than
comparable MS offerings.  I know at least in some prior models (their
first or second gen optical mice for example) that's because there's an
extra hunk of metal in there to add weight, but I don't really care how
they do it as long as it feels solid in my hand.  The other thing I love
about Logitech is their warranty policy.  Not only does it cover the
device for 5 years, but if they don't have stock of a product anymore
they'll upgrade you to the closest equivalent from their current product
line.  This has resulted in my MX700 getting replaced with an MX
Revolution and my parents old Cordless Desktop Deluxe getting replaced
with a Cordless LX Duo.  You also don't have to worry about returning
the defective one to them, since they don't ask for it back.  Not a huge
deal, but it does make the process less painful.