[geeks] Socialized medicine [was Re: nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro]

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon May 26 22:36:27 CDT 2008

On May 26, 2008, at 10:48 , Mike Meredith wrote:

> Sure, but I'm not sure we see much immigration to the UK amongst them.
> Certainly the most problematic immigrants seem to be a tiny minority
> of
> the guests from India/Pakistan/middle-east/etc.

It only takes a few to raise hell, and even the "good" ones will end
up getting in your way as you try to go after the bad ones.

America has found that out the hard way when dealing with south
American immigrants.

Even the hard working "real citizens" will balk and interfere if you
go after their bad eggs.

> Whilst some of their operations were farcical, they were in the
> minority.

I know some of the IRA were pretty nasty... but they were quite
different from most other terrorist groups from everything I've read.
For one thing, they hit quite a few government/military targets, and
tried to avoid collateral damage, while most other groups seem to be
far more reckless.

Also, the splinter groups that formed seem to largely ignore the
"official" IRA an awful lot, even during peace talks.

It seems to me that a lot of them ended up just being criminals, and I
read a couple of books about some of them making quite a bit of money
just selling weapons and doing very little for "the cause".

I guess that happens in any situation like that though.

> I think it's called "islamification" over here, but still a pretty
> piss-poor word :)

What good is a language if it isn't flexible enough to let you make up
the word you need?

Akin to: It's a damned poor mind that can't think of more than one way
to spell a word."