[geeks] Socialized medicine [was Re: nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro]

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Mon May 26 09:12:13 CDT 2008

> Unemployment rates are at 4.5-5% here right now, using the only measure
> available. IF we have such an unemployment problem, why do thousands pour
> across the border into America to work? The problem is that the people that
> need the work, aren't where the jobs are, and for some reason (money, etc.)
> they don't relocate to get employment. I'm confused about how an illegal
> worker can cross the border, make it across multiple states and arrive in,
> say, Nebraska, and find work in a meat processing plant, but another fellow in
> say, Ohio, will sit on his sofa and complain there are no jobs.
>
> CLearly someone is wrong - can they both be right?
>
> Lionel

There are jobs and wages that some out of work people do not want.  My wife doesn't want to work for less than X amount an hour.  She's still not working.  Me, I have the other point of view, little money is better than no money.  Before I got this teaching job, I worked in a factory for almost 2 years.  With overtime and all, I actually took a loss at first getting my present job but I could see that in the future, I should do better overall.

I do agree with the jobs and the people are not in the same place.  I've seen that locally.  When I worked in the factory, it was located away from local population centers and there was only one bus that would stop there once in the morning and once in the evening.  If you didn't have a car or a friend with one, you couldn't get a job there.  Factories there were always looking for workers.

Bob