[geeks] Barbeque Geekery

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Sun May 25 09:48:56 CDT 2008

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 12:51:34AM -0400, Dan Sikorski wrote:
>
>> I'd really like to get an espresso machine and a vacuum pot. I've never
>> had vacuum pot coffee, but i would expect it to be pretty good, and
>> since the whole thing looks like it belongs in a chemistry lab, I think
>> it would be fun to use.
>>

> I had a vaccum pot back in the 1980's and it worked very well. I had
> to give it up because it used a large rubber ring as a seal and the
> ring wore out (the pot was as old as I am).
>
> I replaced it with a glass one I bought at Harrods and had shipped back home,
> which also worked qite well.
>
> It did not make the trip here. :-(
>
> Since then I've used various drip machines,etc. Now I am limited to one
> cup of coffee a day, so I get along with a Melita filter cone and
> water from a Brita filter. Brita filters here actually filter the water,
> I understand in the ones sold in the U.S. don't work very well.

I've been using a brita filter for a long time.  It makes enough of a
difference in my water for me to continue using it, although, since i
keep it in the refrigerator, it could easily be that since the water is
colder from the pitcher than the tap and that causes me to not notice
the impurities as much.  In my apartment, which had city water, i could
easily tell the difference since i noticed chlorine taste and smell in
the tap water.  Simply keeping water in a pitcher can let that out
though.  My house has well water, and i notice a difference when using
the brita filter as well.  I also continue to use it at the house since
keeping water in a pitcher (any pitcher, not just the brita) allows it
to release the radon gas that, according to my water test a year ago, is
in the water, albeit at a low level.  One of the easiest places to taste
impurities in water, to me, is in coffee and tea.  Regardless of brewing
method, bad water makes bad coffee.

How would you compare drip coffee to vacuum pot coffee?  If you've ever
used a press pot, how does that compare to the vacuum pot?
> Although I've become enamoured of Coke Zero and tolerate sucralose, I can't
> stand artifical sweetners in coffee, have to restrict my sugar and fat,
> so I drink it black.

I drink press pot and drip coffee black.  I do enjoy mochas, but prefer
them when they are not overly sweet.  Personally, i cannot stand
artificial sweeteners in anything.  They all have a strange taste or
aftertaste to me.
> Just about every restaurant here has an espresso machine, so Starbucks
> tried and failed to get into the Israeli market. The locals thought their
> coffee overdone, overhyped and overpriced.
I also think their coffee is overdone and overhyped.  There are two of
their coffees that i have liked.  One is their new Pike's Place blend,
and I don't remember what the other was.  I order coffee from Peet's
Coffee and Tea, i like it much better than Starbucks.  I also prefer to
go to local coffeehouses when i'm going out for coffee.

    -Dan Sikorski