[geeks] nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri May 23 20:24:06 CDT 2008

Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> On May 21, 2008, at 16:37 , Mark wrote:

>>> You can get those on a PS3 too.
>>
>> So if you can use a keyboard and mouse, why don't more people port
>> MMOGs to the PS3? If I could get EVE Online, or something like it on
>> the PS3 I'd abandon PC gaming entirely.
>
> Because console game are marketed primarily to people who want instant
> action satisfaction, shallow stories, and guided on-rails game play.

I disagree with that.  There are multiple ways to look at the gaming
market, and I think the way that console game marketing looks at gamer
is based on "hard core" vs "casual" gamers.  The majority of game sales
are made off of the hard core market that has certain expectations about
game dynamics, tropes, and difficulty levels.

The reason why Nintendo has decided to target "casual" gaming is to
bring in people who would otherwise not purchase a console, or games for
their computer (because the majority of them do have computers).  They
proved the viability of this market in the sales of the Nintendo DS.
Nintendo chose not to target "hard core" gamers in an effort to expand
their market because it's more expensive (development wise), and also
because Nintendo was already associated with family/children's games,
and overcoming that perception would be more difficult than driving
sales to people who hadn't previously owned consoles.

> Personally, I don't see why they do that.  A game should be designed to
> be a good game first and foremost.

You have a misunderstanding of the business of games.  A game is
designed to be sold; if it is a good game on top of that, then that's a
bonus.  This is why so much moeny has been dumped into MMO's; the
companies reap more ROI from them due to monthly billing--gaming becomes
a service instead of a one-time payment.

> I think the game companies might find the console gamers like it too.

There are some games like that.  For instance, I've never seen a PC game
with the "alignment" system like that of Fable (well, OK, they ported
Fable to the PC, but it was XBOX first).  Gladius (console only AFAIK)
is a strategy which is comparable to X-Com, IMO.

One of the big constraints with console games is the need for first
party testing and approval of games to get the console logo on them.

=Nadine=