[geeks] Taxes

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri May 23 19:48:18 CDT 2008

On May 23, 2008, at 09:44 , Sandwich Maker wrote:

> " From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
> "
> " []
> "
> " I saw an interesting report last night that analyzed actual tax
> " reciepts as a percentage of domestic earnings, and oddly, no matter
> " what the tax rates were (91% down to the current "Bush Adjusted" tax
> " rates that "benefit the wealthy"), the gov't took in about 19.5% in
> " tax revenue. When the tax rate is higher, people find ways to reduce
> " their tax liability, when it drops, there is less incentive to do
> so...
>
> yeah, but shifting that burden from folks who can't afford to pay to
> folks who just don't want to is not unfair.

It's not?

The wealthy already pay the majority of taxes.

Tax them too much and they'll leave, work around it, or pass it on to
the middle and lower classes.  Then those who cannot afford say 30% of
the tax burden will be responsible for 100% of it.

Brilliant.

Besides, the math says that a flat tax or even a lower tax and mostly
consumption taxation will generate more revenue.

The tax code is all about power, not just collecting money.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com