[geeks] Drug prices (was Re: nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro)

Fri May 23 14:20:30 CDT 2008

> There are new families of antibacterial drugs under development based
> on novel mechanisms to which it is currently believed that bacteria
> cannot develop resistance.  But I'll believe that when I see it[1],

> [1]  I'd be willing to believe "none of the resistance mechanisms
>      hitherto observed in existing bacteria will work", but not a
>      blanket "resistance is futile".

Yeah.  Evolution is constantly finding novel ways to do things.  For
example, there are organisms that are comfortable in seafloor vents.
That's temperatures in the multiple hundreds of degrees; the only
reason they aren't running rampant and laughing at our autoclaves and
the like is that they can't survive at temperatures as low as ours, any
more than the pathgens that do trouble us could infect a hypothetical
something living at liquid-air temperatures.

Give me a healthy immune system over a drug any day. :)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca