[geeks] Drug prices (was Re: nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro)

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Fri May 23 10:45:27 CDT 2008

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> hike wrote:
>> I know a few doctors and have heard other complain in the media
>> that the result of medicine advertising is that people/patients
>> demand that the doctor prescibe these newly, advertised drugs.  The
>> number of people who come in because "this new drug might work" is
>> nil.  People that interested in their condition have always had
>> other avenue to keep up with medical improvements in their area of
>> interest.   From what these doctors have said, the negative greatly
>> out weigh any positives.
>
> And if their doctor says "That drug isn't appropriate for your
> condition" or advises against it for some other reason, far too many
>  people will just doctor-hop until they find one who'll prescribe
> what they want.  Parents who want the latest, greatest antibiotic for
> their kid's cough and runny nose, and don't understand that there's
> no cure for the common cold.

They (and the rest of us all) will be sorry when there are no effective
antibiotics left.  I mean, how many drugs are already resistant to
vancomycin?  I've needed vancomycin before because of an infection that
was resistant to other antibiotics, so I know how serious the side
effects are.  I shudder to think what the next step in that progression
will be.

Peace...  Sridhar