[geeks] healthcare was: nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu May 22 13:26:16 CDT 2008

Shannon Hendrix wrote:
... a whole bunch of stuff I can hardly do anything but nod at and
agree.  Yup, that's the lion's share of the problem, all right.
Healthcare as profit vehicle, instead of healthcare as public good.

I have occasionally considered that if there is any legislative way to
make any substantive progress to fixing healthcare, it would be to pass
a law declaring that all direct medical providers and health insurers
must be operated as not-for-profit corporations.  (There'd probably have
to be a provision forbidding the ownership or control of, say, a
hospital and a medical-devices company by the same corporation or body
of investors, or they could just charge outrageous prices for the
devices which the hospital would of course then pay, much akin to the
Sentara/Optima scam you cite.)

But even if such a law was feasible, practical and enforceable, it'd
never happen, because the corporations affected would scream bloody
murder, and because we have the best Congress money can buy.  And it
doesn't even have the integrity to stay bought.

   alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                  It's not the years, it's the mileage.