[geeks] nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu May 22 09:19:55 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 10:00:23AM -0400, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> But, then why was your wife forced to pay an exorbitant tariff to get
> something that wasn't available locally?

Actually it was Sammy's wife, not mine.

Note that it was for something that was covered, but in a
a form that was not covered. Since I don't know what it was and what
her exact situation was she may or may not of NEEDED the imported version
as opposed to WANTED it.

The tariff and taxes are normal now for imported items via the mail.

The post office used to provide customs clearing services for free, subsidized
by local mail. Since they were privatized they were loosing bulk mail because
there are private delivery services that did not have to subsidize such things
and charged a lot less money.

They now charge $10 customs clearing fee for things that are not taxed
and much more if they are, plus interest on the money due. Companies
like FEDEX, DHL, UPS, etc include them in their rate (twice the price
of international mail) for non taxed items and charge them for taxed
ones and always have.

> >You can petition (not always sucessfull, but sometimes it is) your HMO to
> >provide something that is not covered and if you can't get them to do
> >it, the Ministry of Health.
>
> It's the "not always successful" part that gets you.

Yes, but a very small part of the population does not get NEEDED
medication as part of their coverage, it's far better than places like
the U.S. where the figure much higher (anyone know the actual numbers?)

Often such people go to charities that raise money for exactly those
things.

Geoff.