[geeks] healthcare was: nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu May 22 07:50:39 CDT 2008

Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> Mike Meredith wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 May 2008 17:28:15 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>>> Socialized healthcare == RATIONED healthcare
>>
>> ROFL! Unless the US has infinite resources to allocate to healthcare,
>> it also has healthcare rationing. Open your wallet. See those bits
>> of paper with "$" written on them ? They're ration tickets. It may
>> or may not be a better rationing systems, but it's still a
>> rationing system.
>>

> My point is, that you can have as much health care as you can afford and
> the market can provide.  You get to be in charge, not some bureaucrat
> who doesn't even have an MD.

Instead, you're subject to the whims of some accountant who doesn't even
have an MD.  And if the accountant doesn't think you need that
treatment, you'll pay a "full price" that no-one else does.

I personally think most of the healthcare problems in this country could
be solved simply by requiring the hospitals to charge everyone the same
rate.  That room that you want to charge me $1000 a day for, but my
medical insurance company can get it for $75 a day?  Charge me $75 a day
for it, and cut out the middleman.

If they can stay in business while charging my insurance company
"contracted rate", then they can stay in business while charging me the
same rate.  And if everyone was charged the "contracted rate" that
medical insurance companies get to pay, most people would never need to
have medical insurance at all, because they could afford their own
medical care.  The medical insurance business as it now exists is
little, if anything, more than a way for a bunch of accountants and
speculators to stand in between the patients and the caregivers and
siphon off a fat share of the money.  Let's face it - if they weren't
making a profit off the business, they wouldn't be IN the business.  The
hospitals are complicit in the scheme by agreeing to charge insurers
anywhere from five to twenty times less than they charge uninsured
private petients.

   alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                  It's not the years, it's the mileage.