[geeks] nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed May 21 19:42:41 CDT 2008

On May 21, 2008, at 16:02 , Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> I got an nVidia 8800GT graphics card for my Mac Pro.
>> The short review: it absolutely rocks.
>> I read a lot of reviews which said it was slower than the ATI 2600,
>> not much faster than the 7300, even an Ars Technica review which
>> showed the 7300 was faster, and several reviews which said it had
>> no effect on the desktop, professional applications, or video.
>> I can't imagine what kind of reality altering drugs they are on,
>> but they are all wrong.
>
> They said the 8800GT is the same speed or slower than the 7300?
> Bah! It's in the same kind of speed range as the 7900GT!

The 8800GT blows the 7900 away, but yeah, it was funny to read that
and then compare and do tests on my own.

Actually, the 7900 series is very fast, and will handle most current
software, just not with all the eye candy turned on.

I went from 7900 to 8800 on my Wintendo, and the difference is pretty
staggering, even though it doesn't seem to from looking at some
benchmarks.

One thing a lot of reviewers don't seem to understand is that many
games automatically add goodies when they see a better card, or that
some parts of a new GPU are the same as the old one, and so aren't
expected to run faster.  The new GPU may have different features, etc.