[geeks] nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed May 21 16:58:35 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 04:40:07PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> The healthcare would be on the company, but as far as the education of
> your kids goes, the much maligned "No Child Left Behind" should ensure
> that your children get the education they need, in a manner they can
> benefit from. I work around Education in NJ, and there are stories about
> "Profound Need" children that have Individual Education Plans that
> require programs that cost well over $100,000/year (very rarely some are
> over $200,000/year), and they have to be met by the public school
> system. Some districts are more reluctant to meet their requirements,
> but all are obliged to under federal law...

Ok, they are very "profound need". The older of the two is if you can imagine,
like the "rain man", with a low IQ above normal. Last month when he had
his annual evaluation for schools the person running the committee did not
believe he had Aspberger's and asked to see the diagnosis.

He's in 6th grade now and going to a new school for 7th. Because he is in
special education, he was unable to get into the top public school in the city,
and since then his grades have improved greatly. One girl he likes was
accepted but turned them down to attend a private "Russian school".
Much too rigid for him because of his PDD, and probably taught in Russian,
(which he does not speak) but academically one of the best.

He is in a regular classroom of 30, and he gets 10 extra hours of class
each week and there are 2 classrom aids assisting the 5 special needs
children in his class.

My youngest son is different, he is in a class with 4 or 5 other students
and takes classes in with a regular group part time. He's even more rigid
and easily frustrated than his brother and has been on Ritalin since
kindergarten (yes he needs it).

Geoff.