[geeks] now housing costs

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Wed May 21 15:33:06 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Wow!  Two bedroom apartments in a decent neighborhood in *Poughkeepsie*
> (let alone NYC) are $1100+.  For $200K, your house will be about to collapse
> under its own weight.
>
> Why is the difference so high?

We've been having the housing value talk in our training class that I'm
attending. We have me, from Indiana as well as a few people from the Bay
Area, DC and others in Texas.

Those of us in the "fly over" states have cheap living. I can find you a
livable one-bedroom apartment in Indianapolis for <$500/mo. $250k will buy
you a (relative) mansion in Indianapolis as well as parts of Texas.
Conversely, in the bay area, you need a minimum of $600k or $700k for a
two-bedroom house.

Another comment on the state of people... one the way to San Jose I had to
fly through Los Angeles. The Angeleans were baffled that anyone would fly
THROUGH their city and that it wasn't an origin or destination.