[geeks] Moved to geeks: Useful stuff for small spaces

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed May 21 08:15:32 CDT 2008

>From: nate at portents.com
>Date: 2008/05/20 Tue PM 12:18:21 EDT
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Moved to geeks: Useful stuff for small spaces

>> 15" 1600x1200 screen
>
>Know what I would love?  Some of those notebook LCD screens in desktop LCD
>frames/stands.  Then I could have some real space-saving high-res screens.

I honestly don't think the market share is there for such an item... It might be, but I can't see a Mfg. commiting to that with a serious product launch...

>The best I've been able to come up with is the ViewSonic VX1940w which is
>1680x1050 and 19" (great gaming LCD).

I think what you might be able to find soon (because of DTV conversion) is smaller LCDs that support true 1080i resolution, which would give you 1920 x 1080.

>I'm surprised there isn't a business out there selling small, high-dpi
>LCDs for desktops, or even selling conversion kits for notebook LCD
>screens.  There'd be a lot of industrial/prosumer/geek applications.

Because there isn't a market selling notebook LCDs, they aren't available to be part of a "conversion kit". Having said that, I've got some older P3 laptops with great displays that would make nice desktop screens, but I hold no hope for that ever happening.

Lionel