[geeks] Moved to geeks: Cheap Ham radios (was Dayton Hamfest)

Anthony Ortenzi geeks at litfire.com
Mon May 19 16:29:21 CDT 2008

Sridhar Ayengar said:
> Please don't feed the trolls.  8-)

Please do explain, though, why people care about HAM.  At this point in
time, as someone who's not been involved in HAM, it looks like long-range CB
with cranky ol' geeks on it.

In this day and age with communications like push-to-talk cell phones
reminiscent of Star Trek communicators, the only appeal I can see in HAM is
the way that you're closer in involvement to the transmission medium... that
somehow remaining uninvolved with complex communication networks which
"smartly" route your voice, you have a more "direct" connection with the
person with whom you're talking.

Which, of course, could be discounted as a dorky nostalgia.

The "we'll be the only ones left after the big war" thing doesn't help with
that impression.

I'm open to hearing wonderful stories, but I can't, for the life of me,
understand the draw.

-Anthony