[geeks] Cheap Adaptec SATA/SAS RAID controllers announced

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri May 16 11:06:28 CDT 2008

On May 16, 2008, at 11:20 , Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> First of all, isn't a x16 slot that doesn't accept x8 cards broken,
> according to the PCI-express standard?

Maybe... but then video slots have been treated differently than
others for a long time now.

For example, AMD CPUs have special support for AGP and PCIe video cards.

Maybe on some systems that affects compatibility?

> Also, is this card actually hardware RAID?  Adaptec cards tend to be
> a bit of a mixed bag, with the low-end cards having their RAID
> functions running on the system CPU through the use of a heavyweight
> driver. (Fake RAID)

It appears to be real hardware RAID, at least Adaptec says so:

For basic RAID functionality that is independent of the host and
operating system, plus high bandwidth for I/O applications in a
controller designed for entry-level storage solutions, choose
Adaptec.  The Adaptec RAID 2405 is equipped with the enhanced
reliability of hardware RAID 0, 1 and 10, industry-leading dual core
RAID on Chip (ROC) and 128MB of DDR2 cache.