[geeks] VALinux 2240 SCSI

Ido Dubrawsky idubraws at dubrawsky.org
Mon May 12 09:45:21 CDT 2008

I've got three 36.4GB disks in my 2240 that I've configured as a RAID
array.  Unfortunately I did this as a RAID 0 array and now one of the
disks is throwing read errors which has ruined one of my VM images.  At
this point I'm pulling the data off the array and want to rebuild it the
array with larger disks in order to get plenty of space as well as
rebuild it as a RAID 5 array.

The disks I have in there currently are Seagate ST-136403LC which,
apparently, supports both SE and LVD operation as the three disks show
up as LVD drives in the Adaptec BIOS.  I'm looking to replace them with
73.4GB drives and noticed that in this class of drives Seagate now has
LC and LCV designations for SE and LVD respectively as I understand it.
Is that correct?  If so it causes a lot of confusion since I've got
three drives in the machine that are LC designated drives (and show up
in the Adaptec BIOS as LVD drives) and now, apparently, I have to be
more careful of what I buy.  Perhaps I've been playing Rip Van Winkle
but when did this happen?  I'm assuming I can buy 3 of the ST173404LCV
drives as replacements (I'm on a bit of a budget and would like to get
the machine up and running fully again for under $150).

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks,
Ido

--