[geeks] Solaris User Group meeting yesterday

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri May 9 09:50:45 CDT 2008

I went to a Solaris "User Group" meeting yesterday at the local Sun office, it was very informative, they had a lot of "heavy hitters" in attendence, including an "OS Ambassador", the head of the Performance Assurance group (in Dublin), and the manager of the High Perfomance Computing group that just put together a 1,500 quad-core, quad-socket opteron supercomputer complex for TACC in Texas (with 72 x4500 "Thumpers", each with 24 TB of storage)...

They also flew in a guy from Germany's Commerzbank to talk about how they are using containers to quickly provision new server instances for their client groups and provide disaster recovery options at lower costs and improve hadrware utilization...

There was also the guy in charge of project Crossbow:

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/crossbow/

I got the feeling this was part of a "road show", and Iw ould encourage anyone that gets the chance to attend one of these meetings.

I also got a copy of Update 5 of Solaris 10 install DVDs (SPARC, x86/x64, and the compiler/tools set)...

Lionel