[geeks] Too good to be true?

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu May 8 12:10:06 CDT 2008

Since my LTO1 drive has developed some intermittent faults, I went
looking to see what repair/replacement costs might be, and stumbled
across this interesting part number:

OV-ARC901007

If you google that, you'll find it is quite widely stocked by multiple
vendors including Amazon, and listed as an internal expansion drive for
Overland LTO3 tape libraries.  At prices mostly under $200.

Yeah.  That's right.  An LVD-SCSI internal LTO3 drive, 400GB native
capacity, brand new, for under $200.

Seems too good to be true.

Does anyone happen to know whether this is, in fact, a fully functional
drive (aside from the lack of a bezel) and whether it could be used as a
standalone internal tape drive?  If so, it seems an insanely inexpensive
way to get into some large-capacity tape backup.

   alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                  It's not the years, it's the mileage.