[geeks] FYI - OpenSolaris 2008.05 released

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue May 6 05:46:20 CDT 2008

Mark wrote:
> I'd have thunk they'd use the Sun NFS daemon. seeing as Sun have a
> defined standard for NFS compatibility. I agree, the Linux version of
> NFSd is a complete pile of horse manure. I tend to use NetBSD or OS X
> for serving off NFS, because they are easier to handle (in OS X's case
> you do need Leopard though).
>
> I'd have thunk also if they are going down the Linux-like route it ought
> to be semi-straight-forward to compile KDE for OpenSolaris maybe? Or
> XFCE, or whatever you fancy? I dunno, I guess the community support is a
> touch limited atm.

Well, actually, being as it's to be a server, I'll be getting to it via
ssh anyway.  I just didn't want to burn cycles pointlessly running a
Gnome that I'm never even going to log into.

Though I suppose in that situation there shouldn't be much more than gdm
running....

> TBH if you a re using it on a Server I'd go for the industry strength
> Solaris 10 05/08 strain. OpenSolaris 05/08 is really designed as a
> Linux-esque desktop/enthusiast OS. Jonathan Schwartz says the strategy
> was to get in on the 'bottom-upwards' trend of techies using Linux at
> home and learning how useful it was so deploying it at $work, or
> something like that, I guess he's hoping that people will do the same
> with OpenSolaris to Solaris 10.
>
> I'm grabbing it to try on my Java Workstation, but the download keeps
> stalling on me. Most annoying!

Got the OpenSolaris download last night with no problems.  Haven't
pulled down the latest Solaris 10 yet.  I'll sheepishly, but honestly,
admit that I really wasn't looking forward to the 9-to-10 learning curve
of "OK, so how exactly does all this stuff that they changed work now...?"

   alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                  It's not the years, it's the mileage.