[geeks] Today was a Good Day

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Mon May 5 17:35:40 CDT 2008

On 5 May 2008, at 23:27, Mike Hebel wrote:
> On May 5, 2008, at 4:56 PM, Mark wrote:
>
>> I've had a fun day today.
>>
>> This morning I went on a 6 mile walk around the hills here with my
>> parental units, really nice warm sunny day and lovely scenery.
>> Company wasn't bad either ;)
>>
>> I also recompiled the NetBSD 4.0 cobalt-mips kernel on my Qube2
>> (well, it's a Gateway Microserver technically) to allow the use of
>> a FireWire PCI card in the PCI slot, which allows the use of IP-
>> over-FireWire and FW400 Mass Storage devices.
>> You still have to mount them manually at the moment, so if anyone
>> knows how to setup dynamic auto-mounting of HotPlug storage devices
>> in NetBSD then I'd appreciate some tips :P The potential as a
>> quiet, high volume NAS box is really intriguing me.
>
> Does 4.0 support audio better?  I'd like to make mine into an audio
> media server but I can't seem to get an audio card working in NetBSD
> on that box.
>
> USB audio would be ideal because then I can add both storage and
> audio at once.

I have no idea. I tend to use NetBSD on non-x86 boxes, and all my
Audio is handled via my Mac Pro so I don't tend to bother on any other
machines. TBH I've never looked into Open Source OS sound drivers in
any detail, I just know that Ubuntu 7.10 is able to utilize the audio
on my Java Workstation and my P4/2.8 Acme Generic PC. I wouldn't know
where to start advising you, as I don't know what levle the audio
controller has to be supported, wether it's a kernel thing or the
business of something like ALSA.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: