[geeks] Today was a Good Day

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Mon May 5 16:56:19 CDT 2008

I've had a fun day today.

This morning I went on a 6 mile walk around the hills here with my
parental units, really nice warm sunny day and lovely scenery. Company
wasn't bad either ;)

I also recompiled the NetBSD 4.0 cobalt-mips kernel on my Qube2 (well,
it's a Gateway Microserver technically) to allow the use of a FireWire
PCI card in the PCI slot, which allows the use of IP-over-FireWire and
FW400 Mass Storage devices.
You still have to mount them manually at the moment, so if anyone
knows how to setup dynamic auto-mounting of HotPlug storage devices in
NetBSD then I'd appreciate some tips :P The potential as a quiet, high
volume NAS box is really intriguing me.

I watched some really exciting and entreating Superbike racing
(motorbikes what I do for sports entertainment).

I also got an Intel ISP-1100 server in. It looks unused, but it's
probably just been in a clean server room :). No hard drive fitted
(must have been sprung out for data security reasons). It's packing a
PIII/800, I've upped it to 768MB of ECC RAM and plan on installing a
decent size (sub 132GB) hard drive. I will ultimately hopefully CoLo
it somewhere, as it's not feasible to run it in the house (low power
but HIGH NOISE!!). As it's a 1U it's ideal for a pay-per-U colo.
I'm looking for good OS suggestions. I'm slowly getting to grips with
NetBSD on the cobalt, and I have extensive experience of most of
Linux. I'm looking for stability and security so BSD might win,
depends if I can suss it out fully or not.

It's days like this I am thankful to be a geek, and a human, and live
where I live and have my parents :)

Only down side is... I've got to go to $work tomorrow!

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>