[geeks] Chinese buying Macs?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun May 4 00:14:58 CDT 2008

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 12:58:31AM -0400, James Fogg wrote:
> The dollar is so flat right now that everything is dirt cheap to people
> in other countries. I've heard several eBayers who've noticed whopping
> profits when they opened up their wares to international
> money/international shipping.

Maybe it's because there is a good Chinese word processing or email
program that runs on Macs and PPC Macs is a dirt cheap way to get it.

I don't know what you are selling but from my contacts in the U.S.,
you can get a decent G3 system in many places if you come get it,
and good non Leopard G4's are available in the $50 range.

Leopard capable G4's aren't much money either.

Here they still are offered for large amounts of money, but most
people paid TWICE the U.S. price for them and think they are still
worth it.

The last G4 I saw for sale was so expensive, I could buy an equivalent
system in the U.S., ship it air freight, pay the taxes, buy a new LCD
screen and still have enough money left over for a decent PC.

In fact, I could have bought an Intel based Mac Mini and shipped it
for less.

Geoff.