[geeks] Linux Web Kiosk

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun Mar 2 14:13:55 CST 2008

On Mar 2, 2008, at 4:36 AM, Mark wrote:

> I have a small embedded machine that I am developing a web-based
> quite in PHP on and I want to use the box itself as a standalone
> demo unit. I would like to know if it was possible to have Xorg
> start up with a maximized Firefox window with no border or widget
> controls on the screen?  I am running Ubuntu Gutsy (PPC) and have
> no X desktop installed.
>
> I know there's some great X-gurus out there :)

You can specify the position and window size as arguments to firefox
(-geom I believe is the argument to lookup).  That way you don't need
a window manager at all.

As for the rest kioskifying Firefox, you might explore plugins.
However, I believe you can hide everything you need to via entries in
the user.js file.