[geeks] rsync type backup for Apple machines?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Jun 27 10:06:12 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 04:05:39PM +0200, Jonathan Groll wrote:
> How do the 'geeks' people here backup their Apple machines?

I use a combination of CCC and rsync to the network and rsync to a local
external drive (which also houses rsyncs from the rest of the network).
For the rsyncs I don't worry about the entire disk, I only worry about
user data.  The CCC is only done occasionally since I'll restore the
user data from the network, I'm mainly concerned about not having to
reinstall my mac entirely.

> I've tried timemachine, but I only have a 120GB external USB drive to
> back up my 120GB hard disk in my macbook. It sort-of works - I have to
> exclude certain folders (e.g. ~/Pictures) so that it will even allow a
> backup to commence in the first place, but upon a subsequent
> timemachine backup it will complain that there isn't enough space to
> perform a backup. So it doesn't have the capability to do an
> 'rsync'. And don't get me started about the non-existent support for
> network drives like NFS.

I'd recommend buying a larger external harddrive if you want a time
machine/rsnapshot type backup.

> Ideally, I would like to perform a regular rsync, but am not sure how
> well it would work on an Apple. Anyone here got a method, or a
> suggestion?

I think that CCC (which works very well for me) is based on rsync.