[geeks] Nice HTPC case for sale at Frys.com

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 10:48:33 CDT 2008

On Jun 25, 2008, at 10:58 AM, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 06:22:11AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Fry's has the Antec 2480 home theater chassis (w/380 Watt "80 Plus"
>> power supply) for a pretty good price, esp. since it includes ConUS
>> shipping - $70.
>>
>> While that's not the cheapest case around, the build quality is
>> excellent, it is silent, has room for 2x 3 1/2" HDs plus 2x 5 1/4"
>> optical drives, but it only accomodates a mATX board (9.6" x 9.6").
>>
>> I just ordered two, one to "hold on to" and one to build a small
>> PVR inside - it is about the size of a 1970's stereo receiver.
>>
>> Link to fry's offer: http://www.frys.com/product/5356188
>>
>> Antec website: http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?
>> ProdID=92480
>
> Too bad they don't offer rack ears for it.
>
> I know I can't be the only person who thinks that home theater gear
> goes
> in a rack.

I think it's wide enough that a couple L brackets should suffice...

The thing about this case/chassis is that it was designed to be seen
in an entertainment center - not to be put in a rack somewhere...

There are plenty of rackmount chassis, even some that are made to be
quiet (for production studios). Antec is (I assume) going for retail,
not commercial, sales...

Lionel