[geeks] EVE: the new addition...

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Jun 17 13:19:55 CDT 2008

Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> On Jun 16, 2008, at 19:34 , Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> I've looked at it with curiosity in the past.  The major thing that
>> dissuades me from trying it is that I understand once you leave the
>> beginner areas, it's ALL PvP.
>
> That's not true.
>
> It's only mostly PVP in security level 0.4 or lower.
>
> In 0.5 or higher Concord police come after griefers and/or you can run
> to them.
>
> Makes it pretty realistic IMHO.

Huh.  OK ... perhaps I was mistaken in that perception.  (I'll admit,
having never played it, said perception comes mostly from a couple of
different in-depth reviews.)

> You mean there are characters in EVE that do the same thing in EVE
> that people do in the real world?

Point.  :)

> You simply avoid the risky areas until you have the skills for it.
>
> This seems to automatically weed out the people without the patience
> to play sanely, and it also seems to create a friendly and more
> honorable players than what I've seen in games where ramping up your
> skills happens faster and the game enforces more "friendly" adventures.

*Interesting*.....

> It's not perfect, but more in terms of them deciding to make tradeoffs.
>
> I think EVE has survived precisely because it is unfriendly.

An interesting perspective.  But I think I can see how that might work.

> Oops, given actually.
>
> However, you bring up an interesting point: in EVE you can load money
> too, and you can either be a pretty standard bank type loaner, or a
> loan shark, depending on the role you play.
>
> I would love to show up in a dreadnaught and demand my interest
> payments...

Heh  :)

Or a Titan.  "Nice star cluster you have here.  Be a shame if anything
were to ... /happen/ to it."

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.