[geeks] D&D 4e is here

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 13:57:39 CDT 2008

On Jun 7, 2008, at 9:38 PM, William Barnett-Lewis wrote:

> I've read through the new version and, really, the kindest things I
> can think to say is "computer programmer friendly" and then slide into
> explitives.
>
> Still D&D4E doesn't  really matter much - Mongoose has out excellent
> new editions of the 2 best RPG's of all time: Traveller & RuneQuest.
> With those to hand, those who want the new D&D are welcome to it. I"ll
> be running these when they get bored.

Couldn't agree more.  Having spent a large part of my game convention
time wading through people who confuse role-playing with pushing
miniatures around on a map ala "D&D", I'll stick to the margins with
games strongly oriented towards role-play like Eden's stuff (e.g.
Witchcraft, etc.), GOO's Tekumel: Empire of the Petal Throne, a little
known space opera-ish thing, and Warhammer (1e, preferrably, but I'll
play 2e with the right house rules).

That's not to say that I've not played in a few good D&D games, just
that as a rule, I will not even consider it unless I know the GM and
players well enough to know that we'll be role-playing, not rules
lawyering.  The only case I can think of where I didn't apply this
rule and enjoyed it was an all-halfling "best role-playing" tournament
at a convention staged primarily for comedic effect. Take identical
twin, practical joker, halfling swashbucklers mixed with a stern
berger and a love triangle b/w characters, and you can imagine what
ensued.

=Nadine=