[geeks] About that Windows antivirus question

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Mon Jun 9 11:54:33 CDT 2008

Gaz God wrote:
> Yup its a definite CPU whore, its brought my P4 3.2 XP SATA box to its knees
> several times.
>
> It seems to ramp the cpu usage up to 50% but as this is a ht box it it kills
> all other tasks, the only solution i've found is to kill it and restart, not
> the best solution for a virus scanner.

I just uninstalled AVG 8, and I'm giving Avast! 4.8 a shot instead.  One
thing I see right from the start is that it can perform a boot-time scan
before Windows even loads, something AVG doesn't do.  It seems to me
this should be a big help against anything that tries to use Windows
tricks to hide from antivirus software.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.