[geeks] WANTED: decent firewire/usb camera for Mac Pro

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 6 08:19:28 CDT 2008

>From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2008/06/06 Fri AM 01:03:50 EDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [geeks] WANTED: decent firewire/usb camera for Mac Pro

<snip>

>I also have an application for remote video, but it will be very, very
>far away from a computer.

Define far away - you can string analog cameras far away using nothing more than twisted pair cabling (they make little baulns that use twisted pair wiring).

IP cameras can run POE, depending on the length of the run (100 Meters +/-).

What would you gain by having local storage at the remote camera? Typically the fear is that a vandal will steal not only the camera, but also the evidence of who stole the camera in such an instance. That's why many DVRs and NVRs are installed in secure, vandal-proof housings in a closet, out of sight.

There are "surveilance" DVRs that are the size of a pack of cards, but they tend to be expensive for their storage capacity.

>It's for primarily outdoor use.
>
>It seems like what would be idea is a camera that can record to some
>local storage, and ideally would have motion sensing or N seconds per
>frame automation.

Depending on how much you spend on the camera, you can get hot-zone, motion detection implemented in the camera (we have some Axis cameras at $WORK that are so equipped, though we don't use that capability...).

>I've seen a couple that mount on your head, but I would like one I can
>just place somewhere with a variety of mounts.
>
>Yes, I have some video projects coming up... :)

With more details, I might be able to be of more help...

Lionel