[geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jul 30 13:13:09 CDT 2008

On Jul 30, 2008, at 02:17 , Mark wrote:

> On 30 Jul 2008, at 05:56, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>> Apple ships 10.5.2 with a machine, Apple owner pirates it or gives
>> it to a pirate.
>
> Ah, there's a hang-up there though because a lot of machine-supplied
> boot DVDs won't boot all machines, or at least it was the case
> historically.

That's for the "installer" disk that comes with your machine, yeah.
They are sometimes stripped to only drivers for your hardware (but not
always) and only your machine disk has the diagnostics for your
hardware.

A lot of the pirate copies are straight retail though, so they boot
anything, but you do lose the system specific diagnostic.

I'm actually kind of curious why they don't just put all the
diagnostic tools on the retail DVD.  Should be plenty of room.

> Odd, because it didn't work when I did it. I'm maybe just a muppet ;)

I've made several of them, works great.

I'm going to make an SP3 DVD pretty soon.

Gotta keep the Wintendo updated.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com