[geeks] [janglo] INFO4U: DSL/VOIP Lines - Call Quality Issues

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Wed Jul 30 10:26:26 CDT 2008

> The following was sent to me by a local VoIP expert.

> I thought that they used their own protocol.  Anyone care to comment.

>> Skype is using SIP but [...]

They certainly _used to be_ using their own protocol.  Somewhere I have
a PDF of a talk given by someone who went to the trouble to
reverse-engineer the code and the protocol, and the stuff described
there most definitely is not SIP.

>> If you want you can try to get a hub and use wire shark to sniff out
>> the packets.
> I'd love to get a hub I can run wireshark on. :-)

You need a hub so that the sniffing machine can see the traffic, I
think is what this "expert" is thinking.  (I suspect this "expert" is
not aware that general-purpose machines can act as routers; it would
fit with the "little learning" already evidenced.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org