[geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 01:20:43 CDT 2008

On 30 Jul 2008, at 06:11, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> Anyone remember the 10.1 upgrade disk fiasco? 10.0 CD's (it fit on one
> CD at the time) cost (I think) $129. When 10.1 came out Apple sold
> 10.1 CD's for the same price.
>
> To make things easier for customers and to foster the adoption of
> 10.1,
> Apple sold 10.1 upgrade CD's for $20. These contained everything you
> needed to install 10.1 from scratch, with an extra program the checked
> to make sure you actually had 10.0 installed before it would install.
>
> The idea was that since you already had a license for OSX, there was
> no need to buy another. The $20 was the cost of producing the CD and
> selling it in the retail channel.
>
> Within days postings were flying around the Internet on how to burn a
> modified CD that would install without a prior OSX system being
> present.
>
> For $20 and a blank CD, you could make all the OSX install CD's you
> wanted.

Again, a difficult and harmful episode that's likely to have put Apple
off doing it ever again.

I do think Apple users are a bunch of ungrateful mercenaries
sometimes, and that's often what stops Apple doing some cool stuff
that would otherwise be a great thing to have.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>