[geeks] anyone have spare pc100 memory sticks...

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Jul 29 13:46:54 CDT 2008

" From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
"
" Sandwich Maker wrote:
" > ...burning holes in their spares boxes?  i have 2 machines i want to
" > bulk up, 1 with 2 slots and 128s i'd like a pair of 256s for and the
" > other with 3 slots and 64s i'd like a 128 for.  they both take pc100,
" > but backwards-compatible ['low density'] pc133 might suit me better.
"
"
" Did you get the RAM you needed?  I was sorting old mail and realized I'd
" never gotten around to checking through my spare RAM.  I'm fairly sure I
" should have some 128MB PC100 or PC133 in there, and possibly one or two
" 256MB modules.

i got a trio of 256s thanks to will enestvedt but i could still use a
pc100 128 for my dell gx1; it doesn't take 256s.

on a frustrating note, the gx110 the 256s were intended for has
stopped working.  it's not completely dead; the fans come on [but
don't immediately shut down like before] and the front panel disk and
power leds are on, but it's unresponsive to the front panel buttons -
and the power led should be on only when the system is booted.  i'm
mystified as to what it's actually doing and not doing, at a detail
level.  this semi-activation keeps teasing me into thinking it should
be fixable...

anyone have ideas?  on the likelihood i'd cracked the cpu while
peeking at the heatsink i replaced it with a guaranteed-not-doa
1000/133/256 cpu from ebay [a coppermine like the original], but no
change.