[geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 28 17:58:19 CDT 2008

>From: Mark <md.benson at gmail.com>
>Date: 2008/07/28 Mon PM 04:58:46 EDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

>On 28 Jul 2008, at 21:22, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>> On Jul 27, 2008, at 17:44 , Nadine Miller wrote:

<snip>

>>> I mean, when was the last time you actually got a DVD image of
>>> Solaris that was fully updated, or <insert favorite Linux distro
>>> here>?
>>
>> When was the last time you needed that with Solaris or Linux?
>
>I'm pretty damned sure there have been errors like the one mentioned
>below in plenty of Linux distro CDs. I can't cite examples, but I know
>Linux has always been far from perfect. That said at least Apple's
>DVDs boot to the right GUI screen rs on most Macs, which is more than
>I can say for most Linux distros ;)

I think the issue exists because Apple sells physical disks for serious money at their APple Stores and related retail outlets, and I would imagine it would get expensive to keep pumping marginally updated DVDs out into the retail supply chain, and I imagine it would produce a lot of out-dated DVDs.

If you step back and think it through, in my opinion, the proces is fine for typical Apple users - a) install new DVD onto system, b) software update runs and detects an update, c) it downloads the third-level patch and makes the machine current. THat's fine if you have a high-speed network connection, if not, you could either run it overnight OR, I imagine, you coauld ask a Genius at the Genius Bar to burn you an update CD (if you know to ask for it).

Most of the other examples you cite don't really "sell" software kits at the same volume (most Linux Distro's update ISOs, Solaris is not really a retail product. I know Ubuntu had to make a patched set of ISOs available for either their current or the previous LTS (Long Term Support) release to overcome some problems with the released sistribution (6.04.1? Too lazy to look it up)).

Lionel