[geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 15:58:46 CDT 2008

On 28 Jul 2008, at 21:22, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> On Jul 27, 2008, at 17:44 , Nadine Miller wrote:
>
>> It's not impossible to build your own--in fact with an external
>> disk (an older Firewire iPod, for example), it's downright easy and
>> you can add whatever tools on there you want besides.
>
> Easy for you and I, but not the average Mac user.
>
>> I mean, when was the last time you actually got a DVD image of
>> Solaris that was fully updated, or <insert favorite Linux distro
>> here>?
>
> When was the last time you needed that with Solaris or Linux?

I'm pretty damned sure there have been errors like the one mentioned
below in plenty of Linux distro CDs. I can't cite examples, but I know
Linux has always been far from perfect. That said at least Apple's
DVDs boot to the right GUI screen rs on most Macs, which is more than
I can say for most Linux distros ;)

> The problem with Leopard is 10.5.0 has critical filesystem code
> errors in it, and it is dangerous to use 10.5.0 to fix a system.

It's also dangerous to drive to work ;)

> A full filesystem scan is exactly the kind of application that
> triggers some of the nastier filesystem behavior that Apple finally
> fixed in 10.5.3.

Which errors would you be referring to? If it's the one I think you
mean then it's not likely to ben an issue, but I may have missed
something else you are referring to. I don't keep up with all the jazz
on niggles like that, even though I probably should.
--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>