[geeks] SQL Performance

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Jul 23 11:54:33 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 12:36:22PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> On Jul 22, 2008, at 15:38 , Joshua Boyd wrote:
>
> >But only if the realtime host is running Linux or Windows or something
> >like that.  Not if it is running QNX or VxWorks.
>
> No, the realtime host can be running any OS that has database support,
> and VxWorks is one of them: I have done it.

The reason for discussing DB usage on VxWorks or QNX was because of
there not being a DB2, Oracle, or MS SQL client for those OSs, and the
evils of an undocumented protocol for databases.  Are you saying that
you have used Oracle, MS SQL, or DB2 from VxWorks?  Does that mean that
DB2 Everyplace works as a portable client library, in addition to being
an embedded database?  Even if it does, doesn't that leave you screwed
if you want something like FreeRTOS or eCos instead to save on the $10ks
upfront, plus per unit licensing?