[geeks] Ubuntu/Debian/Possibly general SSHD question

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Jul 23 09:33:19 CDT 2008

/etc/init.d/ssh refers to $SSHD_OPTS.  I can't find any place that this
is set though.  I could just set it near the top of the file, but I'm
trying to figure out if there is some place that I'm supposed to set it
to follow convention.  Anyone?

I plan to set the -u0 flag, which I believe should get it to stop trying
to do a DNS lookup on every connecting host.  This is a problem when the
machine may be operated on a network with no DNS.  Someone suggested the
UseDNS "NO" in the sshd_config file, but that just tells it not to
refuse people with no match, it doesn't say not to do the lookup in the
first place.