[geeks] FreeBSD login timeout

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jul 21 16:56:56 CDT 2008

Is there any way to shorted the timeout on the login program in FreeBSD?

[3] % time login
login: Login timed out after 300 seconds
0.000u 0.022s 5:00.26 0.0% 20+132k 0+0io 0pf+0w

I would like that to be 60 seconds or less.

login.conf has all kinds of time variables for how long you can be
logged in, but I don't see anything that controls how long login will
wait for a correct login.

The only thing I see is setting the number of retries allowed.

I really need it to give up faster than 300 seconds.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com