[geeks] SQL Performance

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Mon Jul 21 14:46:40 CDT 2008

> Does anyone know of any papers or web pages containing performance
> comparisons between accessing data with many small SQL queries versus
> accessing the same data with larger aggregate queries?
>
> I would expect the smaller number of large queries to perform better,
> but I have no frame of reference for being able to estimate how much
of
> a difference it would make.

I haven't any data to point you to, but some empirical data.

For SQL performance and query size - it depends.

It depends on the CPU/bus/memory architecture of the machine, the design
of the database, where the data resides (cache, memory or disk), what
RDBMS you are using and the structure of the queries (query tuning is
another black art). Also, RDBMS's can be tuned for particular query
structures.

Sorry to be of little help. There's a reason top DBA's make good money
and this is a good example of why.