[geeks] help - strange pc death

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Jul 15 22:49:47 CDT 2008

i picked up a dell gx110 on freecycle a while back and it's a pretty
good machine for what it is, so i'm starting to think about maxing it
out and that i could maybe afford a faster proc even on my budget.  i
know the 733/133/256 coppermine in there looks like this:
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/procid/pix/fcpga_t.jpg
and i wonder if the heatsink in its cute little ducting is compatible
with later cpus like some of the 1000/133/256 coppermines that look
like this:
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/procid/pix/fcpga2_t.jpg

so i pop the heatsink retaining clip and peek.  [it is]  but when i
put it back together, no joy - it acts like there isn't even a cpu
plugged in.  i didn't touch the chip though i did wrestle a bit with
the heatsink clip; it has a fair amount of tension and i didn't at
first swing the ps out of the way.  over all, this machine looks to be
pretty solidly engineered, so i'm astonished that i could've broken
anything that easily.  are socket 370 cpus known to be fragile?  what
else could it be?

if it is the cpu i guess i go ahead with my upgrade, but i certainly
don't want to spend my money and find out it's the board.

again: it's running.  i shut down, unplug, pop heatsink off, replace,
replug and attempt to power up.  fans spinning, lights on at front, no
response on screen or to power and reset buttons.

help, please?  anything?